The foundation Vicarie Sancti Nicolai in The Netherlands
The Vicarie Sancti Nicolai is a late-medieval foundation that on a yearly basis provides allowances to students who emanate from the Van Basten Batenburg and Batenburg family. To this goal it manages its cultural heritage, keeping in mind the economical and social reality as it has changed since 1501.
The “Stichting Vicarie Sancti Nicolai van 27 october 1501” celebrated its 500th anniversary in 2001.
This page gives a short overview of the foundation and its main activities.
- Request for Scholarships
- Board of governors
The foundation “Stichting Vicarie Sancti Nicolai van 27 october 1501” was established over 500 years ago in Winterswijk. This is a city in the eastern part of the Netherlands – in the province Gelderland – close to the German border (one hour driving from Arnhem).
Since 1605 the income of this mediaeval foundation is being used for the support of students who emanate from the Batenburg or Van Basten Batenburg family.
Request for Scholarships
Yearly the ‘collator‘ decides how many students will get an allowance. The collator can also appoint relatives who do not bear the name Batenburg or Van Basten Batenburg. The support will always be stopped at the end of the study.
If you are interested in a scholarship, please provide the secretary with the following information (by e-mail or post):
- a curriculum vitae (resume);
- personal information: surname, given name(s), nick name, date- place- and country of birth);
- full address details (including e-mail address);
- a recent photo;
- an official document that shows that you have been registered at a college or university (institution of tertiary education) during the previous year;
- the full names of your parents;
- the motivation for your request for an allowance (do you face a real financial need, or is it just nice to have?); and
- remittance details of your bank account (all the information needed to transfer money from the Netherlands to your account in case your request is accepted).
Mathijs van Basten Batenburg
Board of governors
The governors are Rutger III van Basten Batenburg (chairman), René Batenburg (treasurer) and Mathijs van Basten Batenburg (secretary).
Since 2015 Eugene van Basten Batenburg from Beegden in The Netherlands, is the 29th collator since the foundation in 1501. He enjoys the honor to decide which students get the yearly scholarships. The collator is, according to old mediaeval rules, the oldest and closest male descendant of the founder in the male family line who is resident of The Netherlands.
Since 1782 these are the descendants of Maria Helena Catharina van Basten en Jan Hendrick (van) Batenburg from Groenlo. One branch is named ‘Batenburg’ and the other branch is named ‘Van Basten Batenburg’.
The properties of the foundation are the estate “De Batenborgh”, situated between Groenlo and Winterswijk in the Gelderland province The Netherlands, in addition to some stock investments. There is also a chapel owned by the Foundation.
Every year the treasurer produces a financial report. A copy can be requested from the secretary.